[rrd-developers] Re: Preliminary libtooled version of RRDtoolavailable

Tobias Weingartner weingart at cs.ualberta.ca
Sat Aug 7 19:24:08 MEST 1999

On Saturday, August 7, "Blair Zajac" wrote:

> However, I think that if the user will be building the perl RRDs.so
> module, then shared building should be enabled in addition to a
> static library.  If not, then build only a static module.  You don't
> want users to have to specify a shared library if they are going
> to compile RRDs.so.

Since nobody else but Tobi seemed to comment on this, I'll give my view.
Personally, I'd rather have static libraries be the default, with the
perl stuff going into the default site-perl location, and the rrdtool/cgi
binaries put into /usr/local/bin (prefix=/usr/local).

But then again, since it is autoconf'd/libtool'd, it's quite simple to
change it when I compile/install.

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner  |   weingart at cs.ualberta.ca   | Wolfram Research Inc.  |
| Apt B, 7707-110 St. |-----------------------------| 100 Tradecenter Drive  |
| Edmonton, AB        | Unix Guru, Admin, Sys-Prgmr | Champaign, IL          |
|      %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown         |