[rrd-developers] Re: Restarting devices

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 21 21:24:09 MET 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-developers] Restarting devices:

*> Hi,
*>
*> I read the discussion about RRDtool and the restarting of devices (mostly
*> SNMP devices) and the problems that might occur. I'm having the same
*> problems with a tool I'm working on, where I have to check if the current
*> value of a variable is not lower than the last value. My variable works like
*> a COUNTER.
*>
*> A solution would be to store the last value on a separate file, and check
*> the value at each poll interval. This is not a nice solution and does not
*> follow the nice "only one file that can be moved anywhere" model of RRDtool.

what would that buy you, knowing the 'last' value ? RRD knows it internally,
so if there is anything interessting we can do with it, let me know ...
RRD already checks if it is smaller than the last value recorded ...

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / TEL: +41(0)1-6325286  FAX:...1517  ICQ: 10419518
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker