[rrd-developers] Re: Strange lockup issue

Christopher Snell cjs+lists at aol.net
Thu Dec 6 17:52:55 MET 2001

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Bertelson, Tom (CAP, CARD) wrote:

> I too had a lockup problem, under Solaris.  The problem appeared when the
> end time was greater that the last datapoint in the file.  Do the problems
> go away if you decrease the end time?

I tried decreasing the end time to a value less than the last_update but
that did not help. :(

> Here's my fix, along with another that fixes calling the rrd_* routines
> multiple times within a C program.  Hope this helps.

Nope, no difference. :/ One of my co-workers (who is a kernel hacker type)
looked at the truss output and said that the brk() calls are Solaris
system calls to allocate memory.  Perhaps RRDtool is encountering data
somewhere in the RRD that is corrupted and causes this excessive memory
allocation?  I'm going to patch rrd_graph to print all DS values as it
reads them from the RRD and see if I can catch a problem right before the
lock-up.

Chris

--
 Christopher Snell < cjs at AOL daht net >
 Systems Architect . AOL . Web Infrastructure . R&D