[rrd-developers] Representation of NAN and INF

Dan McGinn-Combs d.mcginn-combs at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 25 02:48:16 MEST 2001

I note in the C source that these two pseudo-numbers have representation
defined in terms of the particular float scheme used with the C compiler:

#define DNAN    ((double)(0.0/0.0))
#define DINF    ((double)(1.0/0.0))

Apparently, these two representations come out different. However, in the
math I studied, "anything" divided by 0 is still ... like Undefined. And so
0/0 is the same as 1/0 and both are illegal.

So as I'm migrating the code to a (gasp!) VB OCX file, I'm trying to figure
out what this has to be.

It has been a while since I've coded C and there wasn't much emphasis on
float numbers way back then. :-)

Is there an actual bit-wise value that these come out to be???

Hummmm... sorry to be such a 'newbee.'

Dan

Dan McGinn-Combs
d.mcginn-combs at mindspring.com