[rrd-developers] Re: Idea for RRDtool 1.1.x: Database connectivity to store RRD data.

Sasha Mikheev sasha at netvision.net.il
Tue Mar 6 18:03:52 MET 2001

We have code that allows you to use any ODBC compliant database as
a storage for rrd data. Currently it is tested with Oracle and somewhat
with MySQL.
 We would like to see it as a part of rrdtool 1.1.x
so if there enough intrest please drop me a line.

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Jakob Ilves wrote:

> Hello!
>
> More fuel for the 1.1.x feature discussion...
>
> Currently the RRDtool use flat files for storing the data.  There has
> already been discussions on using a database to store the data (the
> particular discussion was related to MySQL, but in my case just being
> able to connect to an Oracle database would be enough... ;-).
>
> Any ideas of strategies for implementing this?  I think the code for
> storing and retrieving RRD data from the database definitively should be
> part of the C code rrdtool is made up of, especially as the current
> store/retrieve code for the flat files are written in C.  Supporting
> relational databases which use SQL would be a good start.
>
> As I see it, there are different options:
>
> 1.) ODBC might be used which at least in theory should make RRDtool able
> to access any ODBC compliant database.  How well this works in practice
> need some investigation.  (Commersial ODBC vs freeware ODBC, how well
> different flavours of databases works).
> 2.) Go get the connectivity stuff specific for the particular database
> and then have tell configure to use that when configuring rrdtool prior
> to build.
> 3.) Anything else I've missed...
>
> Why use a database for the RRD data?  Several reasons: RRDtool get's
> higher performance when storing/retrieving the data and has better
> options for doing analysis of the already stored data etc.  RRDtool
> would still be necessary, as it implements the logic of "Round Robin",
> heartbeats etc.
>
> Keep the comments coming!
>
> Best regards
>
> /IlvJa
>

> --
>                 (Jakob Ilves) <jakob.ilves at oracle.com>
>              {Oracle Global IT, Network Management Group}
> [Office as well as mobile phone: +46/8/477 3666 | Fax: +46/8/477 3572]
>          - Intranet Home Page: http://jilves.se.oracle.com -
>

> -- Attached file removed by Listar and put at URL below --
> -- Type: text/x-vcard
> -- Desc: Card for Jakob Ilves
> -- Size: 444 bytes
>

> --

 Sasha Mikheev                      Linux -- put a penguin in your processor

 Avalon Net Ltd, CTO
 http://avalon-net.co.il/~sasha