[rrd-developers] Re: Idea for RRDtool 1.1.x: Database connectivity to store RRD data.

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 6 10:49:33 MET 2001

Today Jakob Ilves wrote:

 | Hello!
 |
 | More fuel for the 1.1.x feature discussion...
 |
 | Currently the RRDtool use flat files for storing the data.  There has
 | already been discussions on using a database to store the data (the
 | particular discussion was related to MySQL, but in my case just being
 | able to connect to an Oracle database would be enough... ;-).
 |
 | Any ideas of strategies for implementing this?  I think the code for
 | storing and retrieving RRD data from the database definitively should be
 | part of the C code rrdtool is made up of, especially as the current
 | store/retrieve code for the flat files are written in C.  Supporting
 | relational databases which use SQL would be a good start.
 |
 | As I see it, there are different options:
 |
 | 1.) ODBC might be used which at least in theory should make RRDtool able
 | to access any ODBC compliant database.  How well this works in practice
 | need some investigation.  (Commersial ODBC vs freeware ODBC, how well
 | different flavours of databases works).
 | 2.) Go get the connectivity stuff specific for the particular database
 | and then have tell configure to use that when configuring rrdtool prior
 | to build.
 | 3.) Anything else I've missed...
 |
 | Why use a database for the RRD data?  Several reasons: RRDtool get's
 | higher performance when storing/retrieving the data and has better
 | options for doing analysis of the already stored data etc.  RRDtool
 | would still be necessary, as it implements the logic of "Round Robin",
 | heartbeats etc.

I must say I doubt the performance thing ... as rrdtool does only
what is necessary which by doing rrdtool into a database a whole
lot of admin stuff would become necessary ... but I guess looking
at your employers email this is not the ideal discussion toppic ...

anyhow, have you had any thoughts about a database structure for
storing rrdtool data into a database ?

tobi

 | Keep the comments coming!

 | Best regards
 |
 | /IlvJa
 |

 | --
 |                 (Jakob Ilves) <jakob.ilves at oracle.com>
 |              {Oracle Global IT, Network Management Group}
 | [Office as well as mobile phone: +46/8/477 3666 | Fax: +46/8/477 3572]
 |          - Intranet Home Page: http://jilves.se.oracle.com -
 |

 | -- Attached file removed by Listar and put at URL below --
 | -- Type: text/x-vcard
 | -- Desc: Card for Jakob Ilves
 | -- Size: 444 bytes
 |

 | --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / TEL: +41(0)1-6325286  FAX:...1517  ICQ: 10419518
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker