[rrd-developers] rrd format change ?

Shane O'Donnell shaneo at opennms.org
Mon Mar 12 18:58:01 MET 2001

Snippets of Wisdom Deleted

> How about having the rrd format changed so that at the beginging
> of the rrd we have some size specifiers which tell how large the
> data area of each DS definition is ... this would allow to create
> some sort of forward compatible system which can skip DS types it
> does not understand ...

I'd also be interested in discussing (if this is up for discussion) adding
the ability to generate user-customizable data fields in the header of the
RRD.  I'm envisioning a handy place to store something like sysName and
sysDescr for the device you are polling.

Ideally, this ends up as extensible, but only minimally so.

Does this fall within the bounds of something that we're collectively
interested in?

Lemme know,

Shane O.
========