[rrd-developers] re overriding Y-axis autoscaling

steve rader rader at ginseng.physics.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 23 22:51:58 MET 2001

A coupla times recently I've come across a situation where I'd like
to turn off Y-axis autoscaling.  A good example is the daily (second)
graph at

 http://nrg.hep.wisc.edu/nrg-demo/tcp/Erehwon/Erehwon-pop-tcp-resp.cgi

which graphs POP response times in milliseconds.  The problem is that
said graph has > 1000 ms response times so the Y-axis max refers to
1.5 k ms/query which is, well, goofy at best.

Another example is

 http://nrg.hep.wisc.edu/sendmail-graph-example.gif

which has the Y-axis max as "100m msgs/s".  I don't know about you all,
but I have a hard time grasping milli-messages/sec!

So I'm considering coding something like --no-y-autoscale or somesuch.
I think it's worthwhile because I think folks that turn off autoscaling
of PRINT stmts will (usually?) want to turn off autoscaling of the
y-axis labels.

Does anyone (Hi Tobi) envision a problem with this idea?  Do folks
agree that it's an relevant enhancement to RRDtool?

steve
- - -
systems & network guy
high energy physics