[rrd-developers] Compiling 1.1.x on Win32 w/ Visual C++

Jake Brutlag jakeb at microsoft.com
Mon Apr 1 19:34:32 MEST 2002

I decided to take on the task of compiling 1.1.x with MS Visual C++ 6.0
(i.e. create/update the workspace/project files). To my knowledge this
hasn't been done post-libart integration. My main interest is in running
Cricket, so I first worked on compiling the link library and tool EXE,
then the RRDs perl module. I'll leave comments on RRDs to a separate
message.

I've attached a file detailing the steps I took to compile the static
link library (rrd.lib) and EXE (rrdtool.exe) with Visual C++. Before I
check in the new workspace/project files, I thought I'd highlight the
one significant change and solicit comments:

Previously, only RRDtool relied upon config.h, but now libart requires
it as well. Furthermore, libart looks specifically for a file called
"config.h". It didn't seem advisable to modify the libart sources, as
this would complicate future updates. But as we already have a practive
of maintaining the Visual C++ 6.0 project files in each dependent
library directory, and the include path for compiling libart can be set
there. But we can't simply point the include path to ..\..\src, because
ntconfig.h has the wrong filename. The solution I have implemented is to
rename ntconfig.h to config.h and move it to a new directory, confignt,
in the root directory. Both rrd_tool.h and libart can both refer the
file config.h (the WIN32 preprocessor directive is still used in
rrd_tool.h).

If there no objections, I'll go ahead and submit this change in a few
days. Note that there are some older workspace/project files I have not
modified, but are still in CVS. Presumably, these will be updated when
compilation of other tools/libraries is verified.

Jake Brutlag
Network Analyst
TV Services -- Network Operations
Microsoft MSN