[rrd-developers] Re: Compiling 1.1.x on Win32 w/ Visual C++

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 1 19:47:11 MEST 2002

Today Jake Brutlag wrote:

> I decided to take on the task of compiling 1.1.x with MS Visual C++ 6.0
> (i.e. create/update the workspace/project files). To my knowledge this
> hasn't been done post-libart integration. My main interest is in running
> Cricket, so I first worked on compiling the link library and tool EXE,
> then the RRDs perl module. I'll leave comments on RRDs to a separate
> message.
>
> I've attached a file detailing the steps I took to compile the static
> link library (rrd.lib) and EXE (rrdtool.exe) with Visual C++. Before I
> check in the new workspace/project files, I thought I'd highlight the
> one significant change and solicit comments:
>
> Previously, only RRDtool relied upon config.h, but now libart requires
> it as well. Furthermore, libart looks specifically for a file called
> "config.h". It didn't seem advisable to modify the libart sources, as
> this would complicate future updates. But as we already have a practive
> of maintaining the Visual C++ 6.0 project files in each dependent
> library directory, and the include path for compiling libart can be set
> there. But we can't simply point the include path to ..\..\src, because
> ntconfig.h has the wrong filename. The solution I have implemented is to
> rename ntconfig.h to config.h and move it to a new directory, confignt,
> in the root directory. Both rrd_tool.h and libart can both refer the
> file config.h (the WIN32 preprocessor directive is still used in
> rrd_tool.h).
>
> If there no objections, I'll go ahead and submit this change in a few
> days. Note that there are some older workspace/project files I have not
> modified, but are still in CVS. Presumably, these will be updated when
> compilation of other tools/libraries is verified.

Hi Jake,

Sounds neat .. I guess many MS fans will be glad to get 1.1.x
working ... I should invest some time on finishing the remaining
bits of rrd_gfx ... text rotation and tab support , if anyone wants
to take a go let me know ... its not all that difficult, I just
don't seem to find the necessary time at the moment ... there is
already a transformation function in the freetype lib ...

as for the old project files, just go ahead and update them ...
it would also be nice to include the windows compile thing into cvs
... even cooler would be a bat file which compiles things from the
commandline on a windows box with visual c++ ...

the config.h change is fine with me, I see no harm in this , lets try ...

> Jake Brutlag
> Network Analyst
> TV Services -- Network Operations
> Microsoft MSN
>
> -- Attached file removed by Listar and put at URL below --
> -- Type: text/plain
> -- Desc: rrdtool_v_1_1_x_win32.txt
> -- Size: 2k (2778 bytes)
>

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi