[rrd-developers] Re: Stippled lines in libart?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 2 08:56:36 MEST 2002

Today Peter Speck wrote:

> On tirsdag, april 2, 2002, at 07:20 , Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>
> >> There's one thing I'm really missing, which is the stippled grid line
> >> from the GD version. It doesn't seem to be easy to do with libart. Is
> >> this on someone's hit list already? I'd hate to reinvent the wheel...
> >
> > Hi Bert,
> >
> > nope, but I guess by tuning the color and transparency defaults for
> > the current lines this should be feasible ... I also expect the
> > promised eps driver to use dashed lines to approximate transparency
>
> A few comments from eps/svg/pdf land: dashed lines are implemented as an
> attribute on the line just like color is. The dash is a full on/off
> functionality, so it basically chops the line into sublines.
> The simplest implementation will have an attribute which is subline
> length for each dash. The next simplest version will have a separate
> length for the on-part and for the off-part. Having length = 0 could
> signal non-dashed line.
> Transparency came rather late to pdf (version 1.4, Acrobat 5.0), so
> using it could probably be a problem for most non-Adobe pdf readers.
> EPS/Postscript does not have support for transparency, and it have to be
> faked somehow, if desireable. svg has transparency for it from version
> 1.0.

so I guess having two additional parameters for 'lines' at least on
the gfx level would be a desirable API ...

> ----
>   - Peter Speck
>

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi