[rrd-developers] Re: [patch] gfx/graph fixes for imgformat in

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 4 07:21:29 MEST 2002

Today Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>
> > because the color property is something which applies to areas as
> > well as lines while the dashing and the width applies only to
> > lines, I don't think that adding everything into the color tag is a
> > sensible approach ...
>
> I understand, hence the remark about noop.
>
> > any other ideas ?
> >
> > how about a special line width definition eg  Width_On_Off
> > so LINE3_1_2 would be a line like this:
>
> All of this of course being (as always) IMHO:
>
> Adding everything to LINE is a mistake.  Even LINE{1|2|3} is a mistake.
>
> LINE:x#color/width (or similar) would have been better.
>
> You have been thinking about using xml; perhaps this is the time.

well the problem here realy is backward compatibility. If we switch
to xml, then everything becomes VERY different. Also new
possibilities arrise in the sense that we will for example be able
to use a different legend placement paradigm where it is more based
on tables ... but then again looking at what most people do with
rrdtool xml seems like overkill ...

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland