[rrd-developers] Re: rrdtool is now using freetype and libart

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Wed Jan 16 04:02:27 MET 2002

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 12:09:29AM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Over the last few weeks I have been working on a huge patch for
> rrdtool (1.1.x CVS) to replace libgd by libart and freetype.
>
> The result is still a bit rough round the edges, but the graphs
> are now 'zoomable' anti-aliased and all the colors can be specified
> with alpha transparency.
>
> It is all in the cvs archive and tonight a current snapshot will
> show up in the beta directory of the rrdtool/pub tree ...
>
> I have not yet tried building what is in cvs, but this would only
> be a matter of some files which I have messed up while checking in

This all looks very nice.  Current CVS built for me with no problems, and I
am able to generate graphs with the resulting binaries.

> Currently you must adjust the line
> #define RRD_DEFAULT_FONT "/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/Arial.ttf"
> in rrd_graph.c to point to a truetype font on your system ... I
> will integrate this into configure.ac. What would help me is a list
> of places where fonts may be found on a system ... the above is for
> solaris ...

In Debian, these are found primarily in /usr/share/fonts/truetype, with some
in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType.

One question: do you plan to release a shared library with rrdtool 1.1?
This is something that I would very much like to see.

--
 - mdz