[rrd-developers] Re: rrdtool is now using freetype and libart

Brett McCormick brettmcc at amazon.com
Wed Jan 16 23:26:52 MET 2002

On Wednesday, 16 January 2002, at 23:20:38, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> Redhat 7.2 (unmodified) was the next try.  Result:
> [alex at home rrdtool-2002-01-16]$ ./MakeMakefile
>    + find . -name Makefile
>    + xargs rm
>    rm: too few arguments
>    Try `rm --help' for more information.
>    + find . -name Makefile.in
>    + xargs rm
>    rm: too few arguments
>    Try `rm --help' for more information.
>    + libtoolize --automake
>    + aclocal
>    + autoheader --warnings=all
>    Usage: autoheader [-h] [--help] [-m dir] [--macrodir=dir]
>           [-l dir] [--localdir=dir] [--version] [template-file]
>    + automake --foreign --add-missing --force-missing --copy
>    automake: unrecognized option -- `--force-missing'
>    Try `automake --help' for more information.
>    + autoconf
>    autoconf: configure.in: No such file or directory

I had some problems with that as well, it turned out my versions of
libtool/autoconf/automake were too old.  If you look at the
MakeMakefile script you'll see what versions are required.

> The problem with "find . -name Makefile | xargs rm"
> could probably be avoided.  Dunno how.

add -f to rm, i.e. find . -name Makefile | xargs rm -f

> Versions available in stock RH7.2:
>
> libtool:  1.4    (not 1.4.2)
> automake: 1.4-p5 (not 2.12)
> autoconf: 2.13   (not 2.52)
>
> A search on the RH site proves to be rather disappointing, the
> "newest" libtool is version 1.3.5-8 (yeah right, then why 1.4 ?).
>
> Anyway, do you really need bleeding edge tools?

Oh, it appears you knew you had the wrong versions.  Why, then do you
wonder why it doesn't work? ;)

Brett