[rrd-developers] Re: PIE CHART ??? (long)

Jake Brutlag jakeb at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 6 18:10:48 MEST 2002

> 1) A base rrd file library (including inserting, modifying
> and retrieving data)
I am not certain modifying data should be a part of the base
functionality (it isn't now). Some of the efficiency aspects of RRDtool
rely on the fact the data is inserted once and only once.

I am certainly in favor of enhanced "base" functionality. As an example,
I would like to see update return a list (array) of the most recent
values written to the lowest resolution RRA. Currently front-end tools,
such as Cricket, have to issue a separate fetch to retrieve this data
for purposes of applying monitoring thresholds. Such tools can't use the
values passed to rrdtool because presumably they rely on (1)
interpolation and (2) computing deltas (for DERIVE and COUNTER).

Re: graphing as part of the tool vs. external. I don't think RRDtool
(either version 1.0.x or 1.1.x) promises to be a replacement for
full-featured graphing tools and libraries. Such tools can certainly be
used, as Keith's script demonstrates. RRDtool provides limited graphing
functionality optimized for time series data. Perhaps conceptually, pie
charts shouldn't be included, but since they are already included (and
without additional library dependencies), I'll take 'em.

Finally, I think the debate over graphing functionality can be separate
from introducing xml syntax to augment the graph command (and yes, I
prefer augment vs. replace).

Jake

Jake Brutlag
Network Analyst