[rrd-developers] Re: Problem with perl (RRDs::graph) on XP, using Jun 10 snapshot

Jake Brutlag jakeb at microsoft.com
Fri Jun 14 02:42:46 MEST 2002

> Just to clarify what I mean when I say "perl crashes":
> When I run "nmake test" in the perl-shared area, the test
> harness runs base.t. When base.t gets to the RRDs::graph
> statement, XP puts up a dialog box telling me that perl must
> close and would I like to send a note to Microsoft. I say no
> and the test harness then reports that the test is dubious.
> Is this what you call a runtime exception?

This is not what happens on my XP box, though I'm running ActiveState
5xx. I receive the Runtime Exception message in the command shell,
presumably generated by the perl environment. I am very willing to
believe that the same problem manifests itself differently in your
environment. This would suggest that the free() stuff may not be issue
at all. RRDs compiles successfully for you, correct? And it fails on any
graph command? Or are you only testing the base.t graph command?

> Changing the libs was what I was trying, without much
I am certainly not an expert about libraries, I just know a good rule of
thumb is to be consistent. Someone puts together the Win32 binaries for
1.0.x. I think that is the person that created the original MSVC++
project files for RRDs. Hopefully that person reads the developers list
and can offer some advice.

Jake

Jake Brutlag
Network Analyst