[rrd-developers] Re: Broken Win32 Build

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat May 11 11:10:32 MEST 2002

Yesterday Jake Brutlag wrote:

> Sean Settle has brought to my attention that one of the recent patches
> (in the last month) has broken the Win32 build. The problem seems to
> this code block from rrdtool.h:

I have added autoconf tests for dirent, sys/stat.h and sys/types.h

this helps for portabiliy on unix to an extent, at least the dirent
struct which also tends to be called direct should now be handled
transparently ...

but it does not solve the deeper issue of NT probably handling
directories in a rather different manner .. I don't know ... so we
can go two routes now ... either just drop this functionality for
NT, or have some of you MS knowledgable folks write the necessary
code ...

PS the snapshot in the rrdtool beta directory is up to date ...

> /* Sorry: don't know autoconf as well how to check the exist of
>    dirent.h ans sys/stat.h
> */
> #include <sys/stat.h>
> #include <dirent.h>
>
> The second header file is not available with Visual C++. The author has
> even left a comment suggesting he is aware these headers may not be
> available on all systems. Can the author of this patch please introduce
> #ifdef conditional compilation for the code that depends on this?
>
> I can certainly sympathize with the complexities of autoconf; I don't
> really understand it that well myself. But it seems reasonable to
> introduce conditional compilation for functionality you know may not
> always be available. The detection code, once implemented, will probably
> set a #define.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jake
>
> Jake Brutlag
> Network Analyst
> TV Services -- Network Operations
> Microsoft MSN
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://google.com/search?q=tobi