[rrd-developers] Re: Possible "create as clone"?

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Nov 29 20:03:16 MET 2002

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Milan Obuch wrote:

> On Friday 29 November 2002 11:53, David Lee wrote:
> > [...]
> > 2. Is there a facility which shows how an rrd was created.  I tried
> >    "rrd tune" with no arguments, but that seems only to display the DS
> >    information, not the RRA.
> >
> Did You tried 'rrd info'? I think there is everything necessary...
> Maybe formatting is not the one expected, but there should be all config info.

Thanks.  I hadn't seen "info".  Unlike the other commands, that one is not
documented on the main man page.

I submitted a patch for this documentation oversight earlier today.

> >    a.  Add an option to "rrd restore" (and/or "rrd dump"?) to say "ignore
> >        the data".
> >
> >    b.  Add an alternative mode of working for "rrd create" to say "use
> >        another rrd as a protoype".
> >
> I think this could be done with some scripting using 'rrd info' output or
> result of 'rrd dump' as input data.

As an experiment, I edited "rrd_dump.c" to take an argument "--empty",
which then writes "NaN"-style (Not A Number) values.  It worked fine,
and I am now happily using the RRD I created/cloned.

On reflection, this might be better in "rrd_restore.c", because it could
also be augmented with a "--start start-time" option, as on "create".

Perhaps we could have options:

1. dump:
       --empty|-e   : as discussed above

2. restore:
       --empty|-e
       {--start|-b} start-time  : as for "create"

3. info:
       --create-args  : formatted results as create-like arguments

Any thoughts?

Naturally, I will submit patches, once we have decided the best model.