[rrd-developers] Re: Possible "create as clone"?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Nov 30 02:01:34 MET 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 07:03:16PM +0000, David Lee wrote:

> As an experiment, I edited "rrd_dump.c" to take an argument "--empty",
> which then writes "NaN"-style (Not A Number) values.  It worked fine,
> and I am now happily using the RRD I created/cloned.
>
> On reflection, this might be better in "rrd_restore.c", because it could
> also be augmented with a "--start start-time" option, as on "create".

I think it is already possible with restore (and a little work).

1) use "rrdtool tune" to set limits on the allowed ranges (so that
   in effect none of them are allowed)
2) use "rrdtool restore --range-check" to read, and discard, all data
3) use "rrdtool tune" again to select normal behaviour

Perhaps this discussion should be moved to the normal users list
only to return here if it is determined that something should change?
(To be sure I'm not misunderstood: No pun intended, just as a suggestion)

HTH
Alex