[rrd-developers] Re: FILE EXISTS when attempting to restore with 23-Apr-2003 CVS

Jake Brutlag jakeb at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 25 19:45:00 MEST 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 12:47:04AM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> hmpf ... I have fixed the version checks in rrd_restore to only make
> sure that the restored xml file does not have a version higher than
> the one supported by the restore functions ...

The old code required the dump file to be version 2, but the new code
promises to
process version 1-3. Before this change is accepted, we need to test
that current
code can import a version 1 dump file. I am not sure it can.

When I implemented version 2, I kept the code backwards compatible in
that it could
continue to process binary files of the preceding version. But I don't
recall
ensuring that restore can handle both dump formats.

Note that incompatibility of dump format does not preclude upgrading. To
upgrade,
one can simply use the new version of the code to run dump on a version
1 binary file.
The dump is then in the current version. Upon restore, the binary file
will be marked
with the new version.

Jake Brutlag
Network Analyst