[rrd-developers] Re: FILE EXISTS when attempting to restore with 23-Apr-2003 CVS

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Apr 26 01:30:44 MEST 2003

Yesterday Jake Brutlag wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 12:47:04AM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > hmpf ... I have fixed the version checks in rrd_restore to only make
> > sure that the restored xml file does not have a version higher than
> > the one supported by the restore functions ...
>
> The old code required the dump file to be version 2, but the new code
> promises to
> process version 1-3. Before this change is accepted, we need to test
> that current
> code can import a version 1 dump file. I am not sure it can.
>
> When I implemented version 2, I kept the code backwards compatible in
> that it could
> continue to process binary files of the preceding version. But I don't
> recall
> ensuring that restore can handle both dump formats.
>
> Note that incompatibility of dump format does not preclude upgrading. To
> upgrade,
> one can simply use the new version of the code to run dump on a version
> 1 binary file.
> The dump is then in the current version. Upon restore, the binary file
> will be marked
> with the new version.

Hi Jake,

you got a point there ... the code has a check for version 2 and 3
but I have not seen anything for 1 ... so should I just bump up the
minimal dump version required, or do you want to look at it more
closely ?

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETZ J97, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker   +41(0)1-632-5286