[rrd-developers] Re: Improving RRD tool scalability

Otmar Lendl O.Lendl at austria.eu.net
Mon Mar 3 22:40:25 MET 2003

On 2003/03/03 20:03, Stanislav Sinyagin <ssinyagin at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Did you hear about the small program called "fastfs"?
> It switches some hidden attributes in Solaris filesystem,
> so that when fastfs is ON, the file closing operation becomes asynchronous.
> The current process goes on, and the physical file closing is
> performed some time later.

AFAIK "fastfs" just makes directory operations asynchronous.
This is a big performance gain on the creation and deletion of
files, but does not speed up working with existing files.

The only thing the filesystem has to do on close() is to update
the ?time fields in the inode. I doubt that is done synchronously.

/ol
--
< Otmar Lendl (O.Lendl at eunet-ag.at) | EUnet AG Systems Engineer >