[rrd-developers] Microsecond measuremend precision

Sasha Mikheev sasha at avalon-net.co.il
Fri Mar 7 14:46:39 MET 2003

Hi,

I am about to send a patch that will add microsecond precision to the rrd
update. This is
really needed if your sampling interval is less then 10s.

Before I send patch i need some advice where to store the microsecond
correction data. It takes
another 4 bytes (long).

Currently I store it in the stat_head_t like this:

union extra {
            unsigned long last_up_usec;  /* microseconds since last update
*/
            unival           par[10];            /* global parameters ...
unused
                                                    at the moment */
} extra;

This is not the best solution but it preserves backward compatibility.
Ideal solution is to add it to the live_head_t. It will break rrd
compatibility though.

Pls let me know what you think.

 Sasha Mikheev

 Avalon Net Ltd, CTO