[rrd-developers] Re: Microsecond measuremend precision

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 7 15:23:32 MET 2003

Today Sasha Mikheev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am about to send a patch that will add microsecond precision to the rrd
> update. This is
> really needed if your sampling interval is less then 10s.
>
> Before I send patch i need some advice where to store the microsecond
> correction data. It takes
> another 4 bytes (long).
>
> Currently I store it in the stat_head_t like this:
>
> union extra {
>             unsigned long last_up_usec;  /* microseconds since last update
> */
>             unival           par[10];            /* global parameters ...
> unused
>                                                     at the moment */
> } extra;

Hi Sascha,

the patch has to be for the 1.1.x tree (the rrd format can not
change in the 1.0.x series (officially))

and there breaking compatibility is fine as long as old rrd files
continue to work. The important thing is to make the integration
'beautiful' ... so best is to send a detailed description of the
intended change to the developers list to have some consensus on
what should be done.

> This is not the best solution but it preserves backward compatibility.
> Ideal solution is to add it to the live_head_t. It will break rrd
> compatibility though.
>
> Pls let me know what you think.
>
>  Sasha Mikheev
>
>  Avalon Net Ltd, CTO
>  +972-50-481787, +972-4-8210307
>  http://www.avalon-net.co.il
>

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager Coach Time Lord Developer Designer
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker +41(0)1-632-5286