[rrd-developers] Re: (bug?) Incorrectly selecting low-res RRA

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Mar 27 16:49:17 MET 2003

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 01:50:40PM +0000, Phil Radden wrote:

> Now I've been logging a bit longer, I can tell you that it picked the
> low-res RRA between:
>   Tue Mar 25 2003 00:01 - 00:24 (inclusive)
>   Wed Mar 26 2003 00:01 - 01:36 (inclusive)
> and no other times between Monday lunchtime and now (Thursday afternoon).
> This is all using 1.0.41.
>
> Any tips?  It's difficult for me to enable any debugging on that system,
> since it's a very busy production system, but I'll see if I can duplicate
> enough of the setup somewhere else to replicate the problem.

Look at the time in seconds since the epoch.  Check both "--start"
and "--end", looking for:

a)  a whole multiple of {step*steps} in any of your RRAs
b)  as in (a), but offset by -1*step
c)  as in (a), but offset by +1*step

Test this, on a small section of the database.

Example:

rrdtool fetch transfers.rrd AVERAGE --start end-2520 --end 1048778640
rrdtool fetch transfers.rrd AVERAGE --start end-2520 --end 1048778625
rrdtool fetch transfers.rrd AVERAGE --start end-2520 --end 1048778655

Does this produce different results and if so, is this what you're
trying to debug?

HTH
Alex
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit