[rrd-developers] Bug in tcl/Makefile ?

Thomas M. Payerle payerle at benfranklin.physics.umd.edu
Tue Apr 6 19:21:06 MEST 2004

I have been trying to install rrdtool 1.0.47 on RedHat Linux Enterprise edition
Workstation 3.0 on i686 architecture, and was getting an error in building
the tclrrd object which looked like it was not finding tcl.h.

No big deal, some of our files are not in standard locations, but was still
having problems after giving --with-tcllib and setting CPPFLAGS appropriately.

Closer inspection of the compilation command that was failing indicated
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -pedantic -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Winline -I../../src -fPIC   -I-I/usr/local/tcl/8.4.1/include -I../../src  -I../../gd1.3 -c ../../tcl/tclrrd.c -DV

NOTE the -I-I/usr/local/tcl/8.4.1/include

This appears to be generated by line 326 of tcl/Makefile.in:
@COMP_TCL_TRUE@ $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(TCL_SHLIB_CFLAGS) $(INCLUDES)  -I$(AM_CPPFLAGS) -c $< -DVERSION=\"$(VERSION)\"

note the -I before the AM_CPPFLAGS macro, where as AM_CPPFLAGS is defined by
line 171 to be
AM_CPPFLAGS = -I$(TCL_PREFIX)/include -I$(SRC_DIR)  -I$(GD_LIB_DIR)
and also includes the leading -I flag.

Removing the '-I' in the $(CC) line appears to have fixed my problem (and did
not even need the CPPFLAGS changed) (I did get an error in the Perl stuff, but
that is another matter).

I am not at all familiar with the rrdtool code, but this does look like an
error, and wanted to point out to some people more familiar with the code so
that they can verify and if needed apply a fix.

Thank you, and thanks for all the effort that went into making this fine tool.

Tom Payerle
Dept of Physics				payerle at physics.umd.edu
University of Maryland			(301) 405-6973
College Park, MD 20742-4111		Fax: (301) 314-9525