[rrd-developers] Re: Creating a rrdtool alter command

Stanislav Sinyagin ssinyagin at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 09:55:44 MET 2004

Hi Igor,

I have a more-or-less similar idea in mind to create a new tool
within RRFW (rrfw.sf.net). But the approach would be slightly different:
it would be rather merging tool than altering: you would have several
datasources from some files or from nothing, and they would serve as data
for creation of new RRD. Then a single tool would solve many different tasks:

-- joining data from several RRD files into one
-- deleting a DS from RRD file
-- adding a DS to a RRD file

The idea is to use XML export of RRD contents and playing with it by
a Perl script. Of course, RRAs are better to be the same aggreation
period and step. If they aren't, it's difficult to say what could be
a workaround.

Do you intent to write your tool in C with direct access to RRD internals?

I don't have a timeline for this yet, since other quite important tasks
are in the pipe.

Regards,
Stanislav