[rrd-developers] Re: Creating a rrdtool alter command

Stanislav Sinyagin ssinyagin at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 10:55:18 MET 2004

hi,

--- Igor Sfiligoi <Igor.Sfiligoi at lnf.infn.it> wrote:
> Good to know that somebody else is also interested in the same topic.

Many people are interested, because data structures tend to change, but
people still want to keep historic values. In RRFW, the data structures
have changed several time during development, that's why there's a high demand
for the tool.

> Indeed, your idea seems very nice.
>
> However, using RRFW seems to be quite an overkill, if one only needs to add or
> remove a DS.

I was going to use as less as possible from the rest of the framework, and probably
make it a separate package. What I was going to reuse is the autoconf script that
locates the needed libraries.

> My plan was to code this as a simple C-based extention of rrdtool.

I wouldn't call it simple, in case if you want it to be a really universal tool.

Please keep us updated about your progress, I might give some input or even coding
(though C is not my favorite).

Regards,
Stanislav