[rrd-developers] Re: data -> Nan conversion in reduce_data()

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Nov 12 09:59:55 MET 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 04:13:43PM -0800, James Kingston wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by steps times step, but I found that if I
> set the start and end times to timestamps that were divisible by the
> step AND divisible by the reduce_factor of the (discarded) graphs, we
> would get back what we were expecting.  We could also get back

You may want to move this discussion to rrd-users, where it belongs.

In short, you are asking RRDtool to produce rates for the future. It
cannot do so.  Each pixel column represents an amount of time and your
last pixel column ends in the future.

> The reason that neither of these worked very well for us is that it
> required that we have advanced knowledge of the step value before we
> requested the data.  We have many rrds with different heartbeats and
> different rollup intervals, so when querying an rrd for the average
> over the last 30 days we don't know if the data will be in 24 minute
> increments, 15 minutes, or 30, for a few examples of what I've found
> on our network.

If you want data for the last 30 days, it probably doesn't matter if
you generate the graph at 1am and ask for midnight-30days to midnight.
That way, the last row will not be empty.

Alex
--
I ask you to respect any "Reply-To" and "Mail-Follow-Up" headers.  If
you reply to me off-list, you'd better tell me you're doing so.  If