[rrd-developers] Re: national characters in font; size of png; LINEx - width

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 26 23:41:42 MEST 2005

Today Gabriel Borkowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> recently I've compiled and sucessfully installed rrdtool 1.2rc(7,8 and
> now final stable).
> I've found two problems with the new version:
> 1) support for national characters.
>    no national characters (such as: [DózB|ZCÓ{yA - Central
>    European ISO-8859-2 or Windows 1250 codepages) are being graphed.
>    Rectangular 'thing' is printed instead of national charcter.

I am very interested in patches for handling input according the
the setting of the LANG or some LC_? variable ... so if you can
provide that, this would be great ... I am not realy experianced in
this ...

> 2) PNGs are big
>    Size of PNG generated in 1.0 version: 4-5kB.
>    The same graph generated in new version - even more than 250kB.
>    Yes I know it should be bigger (for example because of
>    antialiasing) but i don't think that much.
>    I ran a simple test - PNG (257kB) opened in Adobe PS and without
>    any modifications saved as a PNG (using File/Save as...) resulted
>    in file size: 45,9kB. Using special "Save for web..." option - file
>    was even more smaller - 36kB.
>    Maybe it has something to do with libpng...? But i'm using exactly
>    the same version as in rrdtool1.0

can you run the minmax.pl example ? the generated png here gets
16k with rrdtool 1.2.0 ... I did have issues with the png
compression in some rc releases .. but 1.2.0 should be fine ...

> 3) LINEwidth
>    In one of his posts Tobi wrote, that in rrdtool 1.2 it is possible to use LINE0.5
>    but it looks it is not. Is this a bug?
>
>    quote:
>    "if you make the LINEs in your graph less wide
>     LINE0.5
>     then things may look more organic again ...
>     cheers
>     tobi
>    "

yep I was wrong ...

>    Greetings,
>    Gabriel Borkowski
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286