[rrd-developers] rrdgraph specification from a file?

George Coulouris coulouri at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Fri Aug 12 17:11:25 MEST 2005

Is there a way to make rrdgraph read the graph specification from a file
rather than command-line arguments?

Specifically, given a list of hosts and rrds, for each rrd, I create an
include file that defines a CDEF of the sum of that counter over all
hosts. I then compose these includes to define higher level CDEFs, which
can grow quite large when you're talking about hundreds of hosts:

rrd_include$ wc *
       1     288   27791 5runq
       0     288   34678 disk_rd_per_s
       0     288   34678 disk_wr_per_s
       0     288   33817 if_in_p_eth0
       0     288   34678 if_out_p_eth0
       1     287   25899 nboxes
       1     288   27791 ncpus
       0     288   30373 nice_pct
       0     288   33817 swp_used_pct
       0     288   29512 sys_pct
       0     288   29512 usr_pct
       3    3167  342546 total

For example, if I try to define

CDEF:utilization=nice,user,+,system,+,num_boxes,/,runq,num_cpus,/,/

this overflows a limit somewhere, whereas

CDEF:utilization=nice,num_boxes,/,runq,num_cpus,/,/

does not.

Have a good weekend,
George Coulouris
NCBI Contractor