[rrd-developers] Re: rrdgraph & step sizes

Burton Strauss Burton at ntopSupport.com
Fri Jun 10 22:20:17 MEST 2005

(  Tee Hee Hee... Told you Tobi that people would want this... :-)  )

No, you can't.  The code looks for the smallest step size that has both the
start and end points within it.  The docs and code blather about 'best' but
that's not really what happens.  It doesn't take into account coverage (NaNs
etc.) just whether it has the range of time from start to end in it.  If you
want to look, it's the block of code in rrd_fetch.c around line 165
(1.0.49), beginning  /* find the rra which best matches the requirements */

I played with some code for 1.0.49 that adds a feature to force selection of
a specific rra, but held off
 (1) because Tobi didn't see a need for it
and
 (2) because at the time, Tobi wanted me to rework it for both 1.0.x and
1.2.x.  Which I didn't have the time, nor experience w/ 1.2.
and
 (3) Because the 'right' answer is (Quoting Tobi):

"well but in this case the fetch code should be improved so that it can
assemble data from RRAs with different resolutions ... filling in 'holes'
from higher resolution RRAs ... eg take the 5minute RRA for the first 72h
and fill in the rest with data from the 30 day RRA ?"

And of course, what you are asking for is #3.  Never-the-less, I do have
some code which might help you, if you can live with forcing a specific RRA
and suffering it's associated gaps/NaNs.  The patch I have - unsupported, of
course - would add a --rra=# parameter to force selection of a specific rra.
If you are interested, let me know off-list...

-----Burton (burton at ntopSupport.com)