[rrd-developers] Re: PERLCC and companions

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Jun 27 20:09:20 MEST 2005

Hi Stan,

I agree that one might want to have a way of overriding perls
choice of cc and ld, but this should be done explicitly, so I would
prefer to see

--with-perl-cc=
--with-perl-ld=

or similar ...

the point of giving the option of overriding the PERL_MAKE_OPTIONS
is that some people want to have full control there ... so if you
want the ability to append, then how about

--with-perl-extra-make-options=

patches welcome

Today Stanislav Sinyagin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> here's a proposal of change in configure.ac:
>
> if CC is explicitly specified as ./configure attribute,
>
> if CC is explicitly specified, and LD is not, add
> LD=${CC} there too.
>
> If both CC and LD specified, pass them correspondigly.
>
> In all these cases ignore checking of $Config{cc}.
>
> Why I need it:
>
> I'm trying to deploy the Solaris packages from www.blastwave.org.
> This is an excellent organization of packages, much better than
> www.sunfreeware.org, and they use native Sun compiler for most packages.
> As GCC for Solaris is still quite suboptimal, this is a good alternative.
>
> The drawback is that Perl's $Config{cc} is of course "cc", and the only
> compiler available "for free" is GCC.
>
> Thus the RRDs compilation fails.
>
> Also I think it's not good that if we define --with-perl-options=...,
> PERL_MAKE_OPTIONS is overridden. I think appending these options is more
> natural.
>

> Cheers,
> Stan
>

> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286