[rrd-developers] Re: Feature status/requests - sub second resolution & 'relative' time

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 7 22:57:32 MET 2005

Today Pete Lancashire wrote:

> Sub Second Resolution
>
>    In searching the archives, there was a response to
>    a request for greater resolution. Has anything been
>    done along these lines ?
>
> Relative StartTtime
>
>    I'm not sure if this is what one would call it, but
>    I have a need to have a rrd database that is data
>    from time series data. start time is always "zero"
>    in my case.
>
> What I want to do is use rrdtool to assist in analyzing
> data from wind turbines. Examples of this data is for
> performance or fault analysis. Samples are taken every
> 6.25 milliseconds for 10 minutes and placed in a real
> time database. I currently extract this data into MySQL,
> and work on it from there.
>
> I would love to take this data and place it in a rrd database.
>
> Currently as a work around, I created a dummy start
> time Jan 1 2000, and multiplied my time steps by 100,000.
> Pretty messy coding at times :).

Hi Peter,

everything is possible if

a) somebody is willing to code it

b) somebody comes up with a strategy to fit this into the concept
   of the tool.

as this is a major feature it would have to go into trunk though,
for the 1.3 rlease

if you want to invest t>
> -pete
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286