[rrd-developers] C API

Fabio Pugliese Ornellas fabio at mt4.com.br
Wed Feb 8 21:34:58 MET 2006

Hello there,

I've been working in a C application witch uses many of RRDTool
features. The rrdtool is GREAT, but the library API is poor...

There are some features missing (such as rrd_info) and a better control
of all library calls, error reporting and so on. Some internal functions
are defined at rrd.h, and i guess it should be somewhere else (shouldnt
be at the scope of library api...). The excelent documentation of the
rrdtool command contrasts with an almost missing C API documentation.

I also need simultaneous acces to the databases from different
processes, so it would be good if we had some file locking mechanism in
the library (is LockRRD() supposed to do this? i still didnt readed its
source to find out...).

Well, what i am trying to tell is that besides rrdtool is a very
powerfull tool, the library is poor in many aspects. I have a lot of
experience with C programming, autoconf, automake etc etc etc, and i am
proposing for me to rewrite/write a full featured clean C API for
rrdtool, all usable in multi-threade environments.

The point is, it will be almost useless if i do such a thing, and it do
not go into oficial version. How do u guys appreciate my proposal? Do it
interest the rest of the developers (specially Tobi)?

If I get an OK from u, i'll start coding my plans, and then send a diff
for u to have a look.

hope u like my idea.

--
Fabio Pugliese Ornellas <fabio at mt4.com.br>