[rrd-developers] Re: C API

Fabio Pugliese Ornellas fabio at mt4.com.br
Fri Feb 10 14:23:43 MET 2006

i think rrdinfo is good. i'll work on something like that.
oh yeah, before i forget, from the GNU libc manual:

"In addition to the names documented in this manual, reserved names
include all external identifiers (global functions and variables) that
begin with an underscore (`_') and all identifiers regardless of use
that begin with either two underscores or an underscore followed by a
capital letter are reserved names. This is so that the library and
header files can define functions, variables, and macros for internal
purposes without risk of conflict with names in user programs."

so, _RRDLIB_H must be changed.

i'll work on the new API on the weekend, or at the beginning of the next
week.

here goes attached the unfinished api for a library for system
monitoring i'm working on. see what u guys think of it, it is object
oriented. i guess rrdtool could be something like this. The style was
taken from XviD's API.

--
Fabio Pugliese Ornellas <fabio at mt4.com.br>
MT4 Tecnologia

Tobias Oetiker escreveu:
> Hi Fabio ..
>
> as I said, a cooler api would be great ... as fahr as returning
> data back to the caler goes I think the way I implemented it in
> rrd_info is quite sensible or what do you think ?
>
> cheers
> tobi
>

> Yesterday Fabio Pugliese Ornellas wrote:
>

>>hi there tobi,
>>
>>well, that's all right!
>>
>>i'll work on my own api desing on the next days, and will post it here.
>>
>>oh, and do not worry, i will probably not even "think" about changing any
>>conceptual of the whole project. I beleieve the project is excelent in all
>>points, except the ones i told before.
>>
>>[]'s
>>
>>--
>>Fabio Pugliese Ornellas <fabio at mt4.com.br>
>>MT4 Tecnologia
>>www.mt4.com.br
>>(11)3064-3226
>>

>>Tobias Oetiker escreveu:
>>
>>>Hi Fabio,

>>>your idea sounds cool ... BUT, and if your follow the path I am
>>>outlining below I can see a bright future ahead ...
>>>
>>>a) this would all go towards the 1.3 release
>>>
>>>b) before you start coding, write the documentation.
>>>
>>>c) where you decide something conceptual, also write down the
>>>   reason for the decision so that it becomes understandable
>>>
>>>d) post your ideas to the developers list ...
>>>
>>>e) code ...
>>>
>>>cheers
>>>tobi

-- Type: text/x-chdr