[rrd-developers] add/remove DS

Pascal Gloor pascal.gloor at spale.com
Sun May 7 23:46:46 MEST 2006

Hi Tobias and coders,

I'd like to contribute to the project with a new kind of features.
The ability to add and remove a DS from an rrd file and merge two rrd
in one.

Before I start anything, please warn me! Let me know if where I could
get in trouble, which parts could be hard.

The syntax would be:

rrdtool merge <file1 in> <file2 in> [file out] (stdout if omitted)

rrdtool remove <filename> <DS:ds-name>

rrdtool add <filename in> <filename out> <the rest identical to
rrdcreate>

and perhaps also (as the other features would probably only work with
the latest version, however, I'm not yet sure about this):

rrdtool upgrade <filename in> [filename out] (stdout if omitted)

which would upgrade the RRD format from older versions to the current
one.

Regards,
Pascal