[rrd-developers] Re: Dashed lines, LINE-syntax

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sun May 28 12:11:00 MEST 2006

Hi John,

the argument separator is : and adding optional key[=value]
arguments is fine ... the only thing that is bugging me, is that we
now do have a mix of positional and optional named arguments, this is not
good since it turns things unnecessarily complex.

see also the DEF command ...

> I was thinking of adding support for dashed LINE:s, and I found
> this thread, where different aspects of the syntax are discussed:
>
> http://lists.ee.ethz.ch/rrd-developers/msg00702.html
>
> Has anything happened since then? I was thinking that it perhaps would
> be a good idea to add a new, extendable syntax, such as:
>
> LINE:value[/key[=value][/key[=value] [...]]]
>
> Example:
>
> LINE:value/color=#ff0000/width=3.5/legend=Incoming/dash=2,3/stack
>
> (For color #ff0000, line width 3.5, legend "Incoming",
> dash_on = 2, dash_off = 3 and stacked, which apart from the dashed
> line would be: "LINE3.5:value#ff0000:Incoming:STACK" in the old
> syntax.)
>
> Comments:
>
> * A similar syntax could/should be supported for AREA, VRULE and TICK.
>
> * I'm not sure if "/" is the best separator, but I personally find it
> quite readable. We are free to choose anything as long as the old
> syntax can be easily identified (which rules out ":" and "#").
>
> * Obviously there would be \\ and \/ available for value-escapes.
>
> * Perhaps one should allow shortenings such as "w=3.5", not sure if
> it is of any interest though (anyone uses rrdtool manually on the
> command line?).
>

> If there have been any other discussions of this that I have missed,
> please tell. (Btw, the Google search link on http://lists.ee.ethz.ch/
> should be changed, it currently has as_sitesearch=www.ee.ethz.ch.)
>
> I don't know when I will have the time to do the actual coding, but
> in any case it'd be nice to have some comments before starting.
>
> --

ETH Zurich
Tobias Oetiker, IT Support Group D-ITET (ISG.EE)
ETL F24.2, Physikstrasse 3, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Phone +41 44 63 25286,  http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker/