[rrd-developers] segmentation fault with RRDs::graph in 1.2.18

Haroon Rafique haroon.rafique at utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 10 16:34:44 CEST 2007

On Today at 7:44am, TO=>Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:

TO> Hi Haroon,
TO>
TO> I looked over the code and I can't curently see what is going wrong
TO> except that you seem to be running multithreaded and rrd_graph is not
TO> realy done with thread-savety in mind.
TO>
TO> have you ever seen this bug in a non multithreaded environment ?

Hi Tobi,

Thanks for the quick response. Actually I was hoping that the example that
I gave was indeed non-multithreaded.

Here's how I reproduced the segfault:

1. Logged in as the user that runs apache (su - www)
2. gdb perl
3. set environment PATH_INFO=/rpc_stats/ (something my perl script needs)
4. run /www/PERL/rrd.cgi (path to my script)

The above produces a "Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation
fault."

Isn't the above usage non-multithreaded?

TO> it would be great if you could provide a script to reproduce the
TO> problem.

Sure thing, I can try that. However, I will wait for your response to the
multi-threaded/non-multi-threaded question above first. In case, you are
wondering, the script in question is at:

http://haroon.sis.utoronto.ca/rrd/scripts/rrd.cgi

Its a relatively convuluted yet simple script which I use as a front-end
graphing solution to rrdtool.

TO> cheers
TO> tobi

Regards,