[rrd-developers] SQL Backend request

George george at alink.co.za
Sun Jul 29 15:30:33 CEST 2007

Hi Robert,

I'm using the SQL patches extensively.  I am polling data into the SQL
equivalent of 135,000 RRD's (at 1 metric per rrd).

My code is more complex than just updating (I'm using a hacked up
version of munin), so a full run also gets config data and a whole bunch
of other updates.

My server is a Dell PE1950 with 8GB RAM and 4 x 15K disks.

A full run at the moment consists of about 450 hosts and anywhere from
90to 135K metrics.  Including loading configurations from the database
as well as writing the configs back after the run, this takes about 60
seconds.  The actual data inserting takes about 45 seconds.  I figure I
can probably push is slightly harder, but pulling the data off the host
can take some time as the host needs to supply the metrics, runs
scripts, etc.

I'm breaking my data up and rotating it on a monthly basis.  Each
monthly table has about 800,000,000 rows and 1 multi column index.  This
weighs in at about 30Gb of data.

I'm currently storing the data in an InnoDB table.  I tried MyISAM but
the table locking was killing it.  I didn't try delayed inserts,
although I'd think that might fix things.

As for accessing the data, I've found that it's quick as long as there
are loads of data sources.  Generating a 30hr graph for 1 datasource
takes about 0.1 seconds.  Week is not much slower, although a month can
be up to 2 seconds.

The slowest graph I've found is multiple data sources.  I've got some
with 700 metrics on them and this can take up to 20 seconds to draw.
Alot of the overhead is due to the SQL patches' use of temporary tables.
  This can be minimised by making sure temporary tables happen on a
memory fs which lowers latency, but it's not a magic bullet.  Another
disadvantage of the temporary table is that the transactions are written
to the binlog which means the slave server has to do the same work for a
drawing.  I've not thought about a way round this yet.

The patches work well and the flexibility of data in an SQL engine far
outweighs the negatives.

Cheers!

George