[rrd-developers] [patch] add --enable-static-programs to configure

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 12:07:18 CEST 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 11:34:16AM -0500, Matthew Chambers wrote:

>Yeah, I noticed that after I sent the email.  I had already done a "file" on
>both binaries and it said they were both dynamically linked, but I didn't do
>anything else to discover between fully dynamically linked or not.  I looked
>at your command history and saw that you did manual gcc commands to compile
>it statically because your configure line wasn't different than mine (other
>than the debug stuff).  How do I do a static build with just configure?  And

I'm usually using the attached patch to build all programs statically.
The default with this patch is still to build dynamic programs.

A number of feasable use cases come to mind, which this configure options
helps with:
1) easy debugging
2) no dependencies
3) may be faster to start (no dlopening)

Tobi, please apply if you think it's useful.

- add configure option to build static binaries