[rrd-developers] FW: Optional change in graph behavior:--full-size-mode patch

Matthew Chambers matthew.chambers at vanderbilt.edu
Tue May 29 16:22:07 CEST 2007

Thanks Tobi, I hope it's ok if I paste the response back to the list.  It
would be useful for developers who've only worked with 1.2.x to have a brief
summary of what is currently different about the 1.3 trunk.  Has the graph
sizing stuff already been changed from what it was in 1.2.x?

As for code duplication in the patch, in the graph sizing code it's pretty
unavoidable, because the default way of sizing and the full size way use a
different order of calculations.  Ease of code maintenance is not really an
issue because of how different the two methods are in how they calculate the
sizes.  Having one big if-branch to contain the new behavior will probably
improve optimization and running time.  Would it be right to think that that
is a bigger concern for most people?

Now the legend_place code that I duplicated probably wasn't necessary,
there's a lot of ways to do that and keep it in one function.  That would
make it easier to maintain the code for that function, without sacrificing
much performance, if any.

The title sizing thing could be a separate feature with its own command line
option.  Is that what you had in mind?  I warn you though you're running out
of capital letter abbreviations. ;)

-Matt Chambers