[rrd-developers] [rrd] RE: Optional change in graph behavior:--full-size-mode patch

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue May 29 19:16:16 CEST 2007

Hi Matt,

> > Well the concerns of most people are not so relevant to me. Since I
> > will be ulitmately stuck with the code :-) It is the note you wrote
> > that triggered me ... if you make the patch such that the resulting
> > code after the patch is such that you would sign it with your name
> > and add it to your resume, then we are on the right track .. ;-)
>
> To be honest, it because of the WITH_PIECHART stuff that I would be hesitant
> to sign my name on the resulting code, patch or not. ;)  Can we get some
> official word on that?  Does anybody use WITH_PIECHART?  I think at the very
> least it should be turned into a simple boolean option from the command line
> instead of a weird preprocessor toggle.  As soon as I rework the legend
> function so that both modes use the same function, it'd be something I'd
> sign my name to for sure.

Dave Plonka has drawn up a proposal for a new rrdtool function for
pie charts, so removing the dead WITH_PIECHART code is fine if you
want todo that ... but make a separate patch for that please ...

> > options without one-letter abbreviations would be fine ... also
> > while on the subject switching from getops to popt is also on my
> > roadmap, so if any one wants to chip in :-)
> >

> I'm not too comfortable with either getops or popt, so I just kind of
> replicated what was already there and changed the strings.  I didn't realize
> it was possible to add an option without a one-letter abbreviation.  Does
> just setting an empty string accomplish that?

yes, the trick is to use 'values' over 255 for the 'other' options

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902