[rrd-developers] [rrd] 32bit vs 64bit compatibility issues.

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sat Nov 10 07:39:18 CET 2007

Hi Dale,

> Since the CPU itself isn't changing and sharing the rrd files between
> different platforms isn't a concern, is it possible to patch the source to
> allow it to use the .rrd files generated regardless of whether they were
> created by the 32 bit app or the 64bit app?
>
> Basically I guess I need to force it to generate the 32bit .rrd content
> regardless of whether it's run in 32bit or 64bit so I can utilize the .rrd
> files under any app and maintain some kind of compatibility.
>
> I'd like to start doing this under the 1.0.49 build since this is the most
> common version used in my OS and then once I have something working move the
> patches to a newer version as I attempt to provide upgrades for the users.

well the reason for this incompatibility is that in 32 and 64 bit
mode the data alignment in structs is different. It is not easily
possible to force a 64bit binary todo 32bit alignement. The other
way, can be done though by properly arangeing the content of the
sruct and / or adding padding to it.

if you go to the rrdtool wiki you can see a lot of information on
this toppic. I will adress this in the 1.4 series of rrdtool. It
will featuere a format update which causes rrdfiles to be portable
across platforms and bitwidths.

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902