[rrd-developers] Patch to get more metadata out of 'rrdtool graph'

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Sep 24 21:30:48 CEST 2007

Hi Mark,
> Sorry for the delay.
>
> If I understand you correctly this plan is OK; is it?
>
> - Add a command-line option to 'rrdtool graph' which turns on the
> display of graph metadata.  Add a similar argument to the rrd_graph C
> function.

yep

> - Create graph_push() (or (ab)use info_push()) and use it inside of
> rrd_graph() to collect information about the graph.

well 'create a function that can be used by bot rrd_graph and
rrd_info'

> - Modify the calls to rrd_graph to respect the command-line argument and
> print the data rrd_graph returns.

* in rrd_tool.c and in the perl bindings at least yes ...

> - And add a command-line option to 'rrdtool graph' which allows you to
> specify the scale (just like '-2' does in my original patch).

* yes ... this would be a separate thing ...

best would be if you could write the coresponding manual page
changes first, this often clears up some missunderstandings ...