[rrd-developers] python2.3-rrd: would like to capture image written to standard out

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Sat Dec 20 18:27:23 CET 2008

Hi,

(This is a follow-up to Debian bug report #255720 - please see
http://bugs.debian.org/255720 for details.)

I've just realized that this bug report has not been forwarded to
rrd-developers but the original author of the Python bindings. However,
there has been no reply since then.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:28:37AM -0600, Glen Mabey wrote:
> In using rrdtool from within python, it would be very convenient if the
> following command did what one would hope it would do:
>
> file =
> rrdtool.graph('-','DEF:load=/var/lib/rrdcollect/stat.rrd:cpu_user:AVERAGE','LINE2:load#00a000:theload')
>
> For the present, I'll just use
>         status,file = commands.getstatusoutput('rrdtool graph - DEF:load=/var/lib/rrdcollect/stat.rrd:cpu_user:AVERAGE LINE2:load#00a000:theload')

I think this feature (i.e. getting the image into 'file' instead of on
stdout) would make sense. However, I'm not into Python at all, so I hope
that someone else steps up to implement that (or convince me that this
feature does not make any sense ;-)).

TIA,
Sebastian