[rrd-developers] rrdtool: *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x08056450 ***

Andreas Maus a.maus at science-computing.de
Wed Jul 16 11:31:09 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:20:40AM +0200, Joachim Weller wrote:
> Although I'am pretty new to rrdtool, I'd like to share my similar experience with this error:
> I have setup rrdtool identically on two different machines:
> 1) Sidux-64bit AMD (1GB Mem)
> 2) Sidux-32bit Intel (Laptop 500MB Mem)
> both using RRDtool 1.2.27
>
> The rrdtool database was setup exactly identical and fed with the same data on both machines:
> let hour=60*60/5
> let day=24*$hour
> let month=31*$day
> let year=365*$day
[... snipp ...]
> When I call rrdtool graph from exactly the same script, system 1 produces nice graphics as expected, but when do the same on system 2,
> I get always the above error, except with pointer location 0x08051a50. And same, no graphics generatde.
> A call to rrdtool lastdate, info etc. runs flawlessly.
>
> I'd like to contribute to investigate this further, because the smaller system was intended to take the job and run 24/24, which unfortunately does not run.
Hi Joachim.

Hmmm 1.2.27 is pretty recent.
Newer versions of the glibc are very picky about errors
when using memory (e.g. double free, etc.).

I don't actually know whats causing the error but you can
try to set the environment variable MALLOC_CHECK_ to 0
before calling rrdtool. (Note the extra _ at the end of the
variable name.)

But note this is nut a fix. Just a workaround.

Can you give a little information about the second system?
Which version of Sidux are you using? Where did your rrdtool
come from ? (Package or compiled by yourself?).

Perhaps someone can reproduce this issue and take a look
what is on the reported pointer location.

HTH,

Andreas Maus.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Maus             science+computing ag
System Administration               Hagellocher Weg 73