[rrd-developers] Accelerator Daemon (was: rrdupates per second)

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Sun Jun 22 10:20:45 CEST 2008

Hi,

(I'm breaking the thread since we have moved away enough from the
original topic.)

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 12:56:36AM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> many months ago I wrote down some thoughts on a design for this
>
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool-trac/wiki/RRDaccelerator
>
> the idea was to have rrdtool use such a daemon transparently ...

Adding support for this to the actual `rrdtool' application is of course
the best solution and much better than using some wrapper around it. I'd
add the following options to `rrdtool <update|fetch|graph|info>':
 --cache
   Force use of the daemon. Fail if no socket is found or if connecting
   fails.
 --nocache
   Force using the file directly. Default, if neither `--[no]cache' is
   given, would be to check for a socket and use it if available.
 --daemon <address>
   How the daemon may be reached. In the long run we may not want to
   limit ourselves to UNIX domain sockets.

How the daemon is used depends on the command of course:
- update
  Send values to the daemon rather than writing to the file.
- fetch, graph
  Send a `flush' command to the daemon.
- info
  Get last `last_update' and such.

Looking at the list of commands, next to all of them may use the
daemon in one way or another..

So far I've put all connection specific stuff in a shared object, so the
code is nicely separated from that wrapper. Integrating that into
`rrdtool' should be straight forward. For now I'll add code to that and
not work on the wrapper much, so that migrating that to `rrdtool' will
stay simple :)

Regards,
-octo
--