[rrd-developers] Accelerator Daemon

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sun Jun 22 22:10:23 CEST 2008

Hi Florian,

> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:40:29AM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > great ... we will have this in 1.4 ... as soon as you have something
> > integrateable I will branche and trunk will be open for 1.4 dev
>
> not really integrable yet, but I wanted to show you and the list anyway
> - maybe someone has some opinion about the direction this is taking,
> file names and the like.. What I have done is to move the network-client
> code into the RRDTool tree, called `src/rrd_client.[ch]'. It implements
> three publicly available functions:
> - rrdc_connect
> - rrdc_update
> - rrdc_disconnect
>
> `src/rrd_update.c' has been updated to know the --[no]cache and --daemon
> arguments as outlined in my previous mail. The rrdupdate(1) manpage has
> been updated to document the new options.

> You can get the patch against the current trunk (revision 1436) from:
> <http://verplant.org/temp/rrdtool-trunk-rrd_update_with_cache.patch>
>
> My next steps will be:
> - Pull the daemon into the RRDTool package. Is `RRDd' still a good name
>   or should I rename it to `rrdtoold'? Or something completely
>   different?
> - Implement a `flush' command in the daemon and in `src/rrd_client.[ch]'
>   and have affected commands (graph, flush, ...) use it.

well the daemon could be called

rrdcached

on another note, I think it wold be a 'good thing' to add the
ability to write a journal to the daemon. This should not hurt
performance all that bad, and it would provide much better
security. It could write the journal in 'junks' which get removed
after all their contents has been flushed. THey would only be read
after a crash ... since rrds tell when they were update last, the
replay should be pretty simple ...

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 775 9902