[rrd-developers] Accelerator Daemon

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Tue Jun 24 22:13:29 CEST 2008

Hi Scott, hi Ian, hi Tobi, hi list,

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 08:11:59AM -0700, Scott Brumbaugh wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 06:54:33PM +0200, Florian Forster wrote:
> > Hi Scott,
>
> To be clear, this quote was from Ian Holsman in a previous mail.

you're right, sorry. This mail goes to Ian, too..

This is Ian:

This is me:
> > I've had the same idea, but never really had the _need_ to actually
> > sit down and write such a daemon. Your mail motivated me enough to
> > finally do it, though ;)

I've invested some more time in the daemon, now called `rrdcached'. You
can get a patch against the latest SVN trunk here:
<http://verplant.org/temp/rrdtool-trunk-rrd_update_with_cache.patch>

The current status is:
- `rrdcached' understands the `update' and `flush' commands. The daemon
  is nowhere near production ready, though: There is no PID file, the
  base directory `/tmp' is hard coded and I've generally done only
  little testing.
- `rrdtool update' understands the `--daemon' option. If given, updates
  are NOT stored to disk but sent to the daemon instead.[1]
- `rrdtool fetch' understands the `--daemon' option, too. I've changed
  `rrd_fetch_fn' to take an additional `use_rrdcached' argument. If
  given, the daemon is told to flush the file before it is read.[2]
- `rrdtool graph' takes the `--daemon' option, too. If given, it tells
  `rrd_fetch_fn' to flush the values.

I'd be grateful if some people (the more the better) could review the
patch and give me some feedback.

Tobi, what are your criteria for inclusion into the RRDTool SVN
repository? Having this in the official repository will make it easier
for people to test the daemon and submit patches.. Also, how would you
like the final patch? All in one big patch (as it is right now), one
patch per file, some logical junks or something completely different?

Regards,
-octo

[1] I've proposed (and implemented) the `--[no]cache' options with the
    default being to use the daemon if available and don't use the
    daemon otherwise, i. e. to fail silently. I've come to the
    conclusion that I don't like this: With the daemon potentially on a
    remote machine and/or relative paths to the RRD files, failing
    silently is a dumb idea. All commands, `rrdtool {fetch,graph,
    update}' now behave the same way: If `--daemon' is given, the daemon
    is used and the program will fail (noisily) if the daemon cannot be
    reached. Otherwise the file is accessed directly.
[2] To get the information from `rrd_fetch' to `rrd_fetch_fn' I've
    changed the signature of `rrd_fetch_r'. An alternative
    implementation, one that doesn't need this (interface) change, just
    came to my mind and I will probably change that soon..
--
Florian octo Forster
Hacker in training